Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hello mr. Flour Sack

Time for another update, another school assignment and another go on 2d animation.
This time I've scanned some of my planning drawings, which I'll share with you guys.

First off, here is the animation:

Flour Sack from Christoffer Andersen on Vimeo.

We got a storyboard handed out from our teacher, and the storyboard was timed out, and obviously we were supposed to stick as close as possible to the staging, acting and timing suggested by the board - that was a part of the challenge.

First off, we sketched out a couple of poses for our character (the famous Flour Sack), just to get to know the character and how to draw it.

After that I started planning and thumbnailing. Drawing the background and the motion of the character. Both to figure out some of the key poses but also to make sure they are within the framing.

Here is how they look:

Scene 1:






Scene 3:






Scene 4, part 1






Scene 4, Part 2.






Scene 5:







After that, it was time to put down the keys, test them and time them out, acordingly to the motion and the preset timing.
I added time charts on all the keys, so could sort out the spacing before I went on with inbetweens. Constant changes were made in the timing during the "production", but I really tried to work organised and "by the book".

For now, I guess it's so simple, that I could just start at frame 1, and with a clear image in my head, just animate ahead without planning. It might even get more loose and free, but I strongly feel for getting the organised workflow into my system as quickly as possible, so when some more advanced stuff comes along, it will be second nature.

After that, breakdowns were added and finally inbetweens.

A lot of hours were invested in the shot, and most days were from 9:30 AM to 02:00 AM, so looooong days, but when it's as fun as this was, it's all worth it.

In the end, I think it got a little messy, which I'm regretting a bit. I keep telling myself to keep it simple, but somehow simplicity seems to be the hardest thing to achieve.
I tried to stay loose and sketchy with my drawings, and I think it worked out alright - drawingwise.

Anyways I don't think I've forgotten anything. If there is any questions what so ever, or if you just feel like saying hallo, or have a comment on my animation, please feel free and welcome to comment on my posts :)

Cheers and have a good evening!

Christoffer

No comments: